Many triathlons are making their way to being even greener, and you can help support the effort. Some of the things you can do to help reduce or eliminate your impact on the environment include:
- Don’t throw the ‘energy bar’ wrappers on the ground during the race, send them to TerraCycle and they’ll donate money to your charity of choice
- Better yet, make your own nutrition bars with locally grown food
- Pick up trash along the route, like the Eco-Runner
- Buy powered sports drink and mix it yourself in a reusable water bottle
- Recycle your retired running shoes with Soles4Souls
- Start your workout rides/runs from your home or office, and ride/run to the pool instead of driving
- Give away your old swim caps as jar opening grips
- When buying your matching cycling and running outfit, purchase goods made from natural fibers.
- In the winter, use your cycling jersey twice before washing it (and make sure to wash laundry in full loads)
The effort put in by both the race directors and the athletes has the potential to make a huge difference in the endurance sport world!